Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Little Off-Roadn'

Just to report that I popped the doors off today, loaded three of my kids into the CJ and we went on a short little excursion onto a rutted, dirt road that cuts through the sage brush near our home.  This was my first off-road experience in this CJ since I brought it home.  It was dusk, so I flicked on the KC lights and was pleased to see a brilliant, bright beam shooting out of both lamps, lighting up the brush and trail ahead.  We saw a family of sage grouse trotting along the road, and a giant vulture that happened to be picking the bones of a discarded elk carcass.

As far as the CJ goes it performed great!  Not that I took it to the limit or anything.  It was a pretty slow, gentle meandering road ( I probably could have done it in a Datsun )  There were a couple of little climbs that the Jeep crawled right up with no effort, and when it was time to turn for home, I left the road completely and just bush whacked a little ways.

All in all it was short, but fun.  It got me excited to get out there and do it some more and for longer expeditions next time.  Kids LOVED it!  Next on my agenda is to figure out some kind of home made hoist I can rig up in the garage to get the hardtop off the Jeep by myself so I don't have to ask my poor wife to help.  Haven't driven it with the top off yet, and I just gotta do it once before it gets too cold.  From the feel of temps at night and early mornings, that's not too far off.

- Over & Out

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of having a hoist in the garage to get the top off and back on...brilliant!

 

avandia recall